Cornerstone Baptist Church began as God moved on the heart of Pastor Doug Cowan while he was attending Bible college. After graduating with a bachelor of Science degree in Pastoral Theology, Pastor Cowan began serving the Lord as an assistant pastor at the Bella Vista Baptist Church in Albuquerque, New Mexico. God continued to work and Pastor Cowan followed Gods leading to start a church in Las Cruces, NM. In January 2004, Cornerstone Baptist Church began to take shape. With the support of Pastor Clyde Gilman and the Bella Vista Baptist Church, the plans were put into motion for this new and exciting work.
Cornerstone's first official service was held on June 6, 2004 with an opening attendance of 91 people. Since that time, God has blessed and Cornerstone Baptist Church continues to grow and minister to the people of Las Cruces with these additional ministries:
- Outreach and Soul-winning has always been a priority from the start and many have been led to Christ.
- A Bus Ministry was started to bring those who would like to attend but had no way.
- A Christian School, Cornerstone Christian Academy, was started in an effort to provide an affordable Christian education for children in our community.
- A Nursing Home Ministry was started to minister to our precious senior citizens.
- A Teen and Youth Ministry with solid teaching from our youth pastor to develope their young lives in a Godly fashion is vibrant and thriving.
- A dynamic Faith Promise Missions Giving program supports missionaries who are reaching people around the world with the message of the gospel.
Cornerstone Baptist Church in Las Cruces reached a milestone in early 2009 when we moved to our new facility located at 5301 Cortez Avenue . This has set the groundwork for many new ministries to be launched both now and in the near future.
We would love to have you come and be a part of serving the Lord with us in Las Cruces, come join us!